The Post

Bitter-sweet consolation for family


THE family of Sergeant Riyadh Adams say knowing that two of his alleged killers were dead had left them with mixed feelings.

On November 29, two suspects were shot and killed in KwaMashu.

Adams was shot dead after responding to a call about a robbery at a jewellery store at the Pavilion Shopping Centre last month.

“While we welcome the news that they got the suspects, this doesn’t change the fact that they killed my brother,” said Adams’s sister, Nadia.

She added: “At least someone out there will probably be kept safe from these suspects. Someone else’s life will be saved and they won’t be able to rob another jewellery store. But my brother is never coming back.”

Adams was stationed at the Cato Manor police station under the Trio Task Team. He was on duty on Sunday, November 19, when he and a colleague responded to a call about an armed robbery at a jewellery store at Pavilion Shopping Mall.

A suspect, posing as a customer, entered the store, followed by four other suspects, overpowered the staff and robbed them of an undisclosed amount of jewellery.

Simultaneously, another group of suspects stormed a second jewellery store and robbed the store of gold jewellery. As the suspects fled the mall, they saw the police van and opened fire.

Adams was hit and died at the scene. He was laid to rest on November 20.

Lieutenant Colonel Simphiwe Mhlongo, a spokesperson for the Hawks, said: “We can confirm that two suspects were fatally wounded during the investigation about the police murder and business robbery which happened at Pavilion Shopping Centre.

“Hawks members from Durban’s Serious Organised Crime Investigation Unit arrested and charged a 41-year-old suspect for both cases.

“It is alleged that during the course of their investigation, the arrested suspect led the police to KwaMashu to point out his accomplices and during the process a shoot-out occurred. As a result, both suspects died at the scene.

“The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) is investigating the matter. The Hawks’ investigation on the business robbery and police murder continues,” said Mhlongo.





African News Agency